Monday, August 26, 2013

Week 7 / 3 Months -- Humility

So I've been on my mission for 3 months. HOLY COW!
 
To start off with the most important things, I got a new companion, and he likes going to the gym. And I like going to the gym.. SO WEVE STARTED GOING TO THE GYM! They president gave us permission so we just started lifting every morning for about an hour. IT IS SO AWESOME!
I have lost 30 pounds in the 7 weeks I've been here. Its pretty terrible.
 
So this week, I finally got humbled. On Thursday there was a HUGE power outage due to an earthquake and there was no lights. None. And this is when the thugs come out to play. My companion and I were walking home in the pitch black darkness when we were all of a sudden surrounded by 6 young Mexican men. They began to yell at us and took all of our stuff. I planned on keeping my watch and when they told me to give it to them, of course being prideful I said no. They asked me why and I told them it was mine. And I was raised in a house where if you want my things, we are going to fight. My new companion, Elder Tapia, being 4 feet tall and no more then 160 pounds was not fond of the idea so we took off my watch and gave it to them. I now lack a watch, money, and a desire to fight Mexicans. haha, they ended up just taking all we had and gave us a couple shoves but all was well.
 
In a great note we have gas again so we can take warm showers! woohoo!
So to end this week I have started a new hobby of hustling people in las tiagys. Basically like the swap meets here that happen everyday. I am collecting automatic watches that don't need batteries and what not and they are SO cool. So the first one I bought the guy wanted 1000 pesos for it. I ended up leaving with it for 40 American dollars. That's about 440 pesos. haha And then today a different guy wanted 900 for this other one, I told him I had 300 and It was yes or no. he said no and as I was walking a way he chased me down and begrudgingly gave me the watch. Pretty sweet! They are pretty much the coolest things ever but I cant wear them here! haha 
 
To end on a spiritual note, we had a lesson with a family and my companion knows I like working out and what not so he took a piece of bread and broke it into really small pieces. He then told the family we were teaching to eat the bread and for every piece of bread they ate I had to do 3 pushups. They began to eat. After the 1st time he never said anything more he just held the bread out. So fifteen minutes later and about 100 pushups down he told them to look at my face which was red and I was breathing rather heavily. He asked them why they wanted to make me suffer. They told them that he made them when he only said once to eat the bread. Its a great example of us. We make Christ suffer for our sins and we are so blind to his face and the amount of suffering that occurred for us to be redeemed. We should never partake of anything that will make Christ, or anyone for that matter, suffer. It was just a good example of how we need to know the consequences of all we do.
I love you all and think of you guys!
Thank you for writing me!
Hasta luego!
Elder WINTERS

No comments:

Post a Comment